counter

Thursday, November 22, 2012

How is Fred, and how is Mark?


Nothing could have prepared me for being an “Opa”. We have two beautiful granddaughters and I can’t find words for the emotions they stir in me.

I still remember how it felt when our own girls started calling us mommy and daddy. Ma-ma-ma or da-da-da. I was sure I heard them say it, probably long before they actually did. It feels like nothing else to have that connection. Now, with the granddaughters it’s the same thing all over again, just different words and it come mostly via Skype or on the phone. Every time it makes me tear up with happiness.

Would you believe that when one of our orphans in Haiti calls me papa that it moves me that much too. They don’t call just anyone that and none of them ever remembered their real father. It makes me feel all the more aware how much they crave parental love.  

The other day I was doing some work on my laptop and that is usually a “group activity”. A ton of kids hang on my shoulders to either see what I type on the screen or even better, look at pictures. No matter who is in the picture they want to know names and what the occasion was. If the person in the picture did ever visit Bohoc, they will say it even before I can. They never, ever forget you! You are part of their family now and they want to know all about you. It blows my mind how they can keep up with it.

Not only the kids but many of the adults in town will come to me and say things like: How is Doug, when is he coming back? When is Sarah coming again? How is Ms. Beth? Believe me they will ask about so many, you have no idea!

That’s what I mean with relationships. You are part of their life now and I hope they are part of yours. They love you! You know their circumstances and their needs. That’s why I jokingly tell new team members that their life as they know it, is about to get ruined. You can never forget this anymore, you are a different person.

No comments:

Post a Comment